How to contribute
- Archiwik takes as its starting point the definition of architecture laid out by French writer Georges Bataille. Read more about the conceptual background of the project, and parameters for contribution, on the About Archiwik page.
- Archiwik.org is built using MediaWiki, the same open-source wiki software that powers Wikipedia. To add or edit content, create an account at the "Request account" page; you will be emailed an account verification that will allow you to log in to the site.
- Once logged in, articles are added using plain text, with basic formatting tools available in the edit window of each article. You can also paste text from any word processing application. To upload images, use the "Upload File" link in the left menu bar.
- Create an article by typing its title/subject in the search bar at the top right of any page. You will get a search result page that includes the line "Create the page "Name of your article" on this wiki!" Click on the red highlighted text to get started.
- For any issues with account set up, article creation, or general questions or comments, please contact the main administrator of the site here.
Georges Bataille, Architecture, 1929
"Architecture" is a short article written by French author, editor, and 'dissident surrealist' Georges Bataille (1897-1962) that was first published in the journal Documents in 1929. The article was the first entry in the Dictionnaire Critique (Critical Dictionary), a series of texts providing definitions for a heterogeneous range of words and concepts that were published over the course of Documents' fifteen-issue lifespan.