How to contribute
- Archiwik takes as its starting point the definition of architecture laid out by French writer Georges Bataille. Read more about the conceptual background of the project, and parameters for contribution, on the About Archiwik page.
- Articles on Archiwik.org can be created and edited by anyone. The site is built using MediaWiki, the same open-source wiki software that powers Wikipedia.
- Articles are added using plain text, with basic formatting tools available in the edit window of each article. You can also paste text from any word processing application. To upload images, you will need to create a free account.
- Create an article by typing its title/subject in the search bar at the top right of any page. You will get a search result page that includes the line "Create the page "Name of your article" on this wiki!" Click on the red highlighted text to get started.
- Alternatively, look for - and click on - red-highlighted words throughout the text of existing articles to create new articles on those subjects.
- Each article also has a discussion page, where you can add comments or input on the article topic. Click the Discussion tab on the top left of a page window to start a discussion.
- Contact the main administrator of the site here.
Georges Bataille, Architecture, 1929
"Architecture" is a short article written by French author, editor, and 'dissident surrealist' Georges Bataille (1897-1962) that was first published in the journal Documents in 1929. The article was the first entry in the Dictionnaire Critique (Critical Dictionary), a series of texts providing definitions for a heterogeneous range of words and concepts that were published over the course of Documents' fifteen-issue lifespan.